Recent content by Uemarasan

1. U

The 'Recently Watched Films' Thread

Which cut have you seen, Stevie? I remember experiencing Redux as a kind of fever dream one afternoon, although I was quite young at the time. I might respond to the film quite differently today.
  2. U

The 'Recently Watched Films' Thread

It’s a very conservative list. Great for people who are new to cinema, but otherwise doesn’t really offer anything for those who are deep into movies. Following discussions in cinephile circles, there wasn’t anything surprising about Jeanne Dielman topping the list, though it’s still amazing...
  3. U

Nobel Prize in Literature 2022

I’d rather have sex, eat chocolate, and read some Ernaux. It’s too pleasant a Sunday to provide some grist for the mill.
  4. U

Wordless Novels

Manga has quite a handful of examples of this. There’s a charming one called Gon about a dinosaur and his adventures and misadventures: https://vocal.media/geeks/gon-a-manga-without-boundaries
  5. U

It’s a criticism of a particular area of politics, not the entire process. Politics isn’t only polarization, division, tribalism, left vs right, woke vs anti-woke. Now that’s overly simplistic. But yes, let’s transfer the political discussion elsewhere.
  6. U

You tell me. When I was referring to structures of power, that’s what I meant. I even clearly said “might be.”I don’t inhabit those other countries. I can’t claim to speak for them. If you somehow interpreted my post as a “bog-standard castigation of the evils of politics,” then it’s strange...
  7. U

And that might be because we live under very different political systems, because this nebulous “they” clearly exists here: the entire system of government itself, the elite and wealthy class in charge of banks, corporations, public institutions, the cult of celebrity and the media powered by...
  8. U

I find that quite a lot of political labels, as they are used today, are oversimplified and dehumanizing. I guess that’s the point. It’s easier to cultivate polarization and divide people and let people divide themselves voluntarily in order to ultimately manipulate them, whether it’s done...
  9. U

Well, honestly, it’s not just the “right” that’s annoyed by or tired of whatever it is that “woke” claims or is claimed to be… But then again, it’s a political language that I personally do not respond to.
  10. U

And Cannes is all the poorer for it. It’s quite unbelievable that Almodovar has yet to win the highest accolade in any of the three major European film festivals.
  11. U

I much prefer Duras as a filmmaker. Yourcenar is an immeasurable lacuna in the history of the Nobel. To think that it took this long to honor a French woman of letters… Well, they bypassed Frost until they got to Gluck.
  12. U

I think I posted this before, but the man himself acknowledges this: “I’m not entirely like English people because I’ve been brought up by Japanese parents in a Japanese-speaking home. My parents didn’t realize that we were going to stay in this country for so long, they felt responsible for...
  13. U

Indeed, but a ubiquity that one can perhaps protest against, disengage from, or simply ignore. Interestingly enough, younger people here are less captivated by America than the older generation, thanks to social media.
  14. U

Not to be adversarial, but I have noticed that quite a handful of Brits know more about what’s happening in America than they do the rest of the world, and that sometimes includes the rest of Europe. Of course, I’m no expert on the British.
  15. U

Unfortunately, it’s not just Americans. A considerable part of the world still continues to make American culture and politics or their relationship to American culture and politics the lens through which their own culture and politics are seen. In the Philippines, for example, a significant...